If you are involved in an accident that was caused by the negligence of another person, then you will need to consult with a Portland Oregon personal injury lawyer. A Portland Oregon personal injury lawyer has studied law and knows all of the ins and outs of Oregon law. He knows the state laws and has many resources to help you through the legal process. You can hire a Portland personal injury lawyer on a contingency fee basis, which means that you only pay if you win your case. However, you may want to hire the attorney so that he can help you get the settlement for the medical and car expenses you have endured as well as any out of pocket expenses you have suffered due to the accident.
Hiring a Portland Personal Injury Lawyer
- The first thing you should do is consult with a Portland personal injury lawyer who handles personal injury cases. Get some questions together such as the names of both parties and their contact information. You also need to know the exact date of the accident as well as the insurance company and the policy number for both parties.
- Once you have consulted with a Portland attorney, you will learn whether or not your case will be handled by the court system or whether you will need to file a lawsuit. Your case will be sent to a private investigator to conduct an investigation of the accident. You will not see the results of the investigation until after your lawyer has reviewed it with the court. The results of the investigation will determine if you have a case and whether or not the negligent party will be held responsible for the accident.
- If your Portland Oregon personal injury lawyer has decided that a lawsuit is your best option, you will be required to provide him with a large sum of money. The amount of money you need to offer will depend on the nature of your injuries and the amount of money that were lost as a result of the accident. Most people who are seriously injured are able to get most, if not all, of their losses compensated by insurance companies. However, there are many people who do not have the means to cover their losses. In such cases, they will be entitled to file personal injury lawsuits against the other party. Personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, so you will only pay them if you win your lawsuit.
- One thing you should be wary about is whether or not your Portland Oregon personal injury lawyer charges you to work on your case. Some lawyers will charge a flat rate fee for their services, while others will take a percentage of your settlement. This will vary according to the lawyer you are working with, so you should shop around until you find one who charges a flat rate fee. If you are awarded damages in court, you will of course have to pay your Portland Oregon lawyer a percentage of his winnings.
- Once your case is set for trial, you will need to find the right Portland Oregon personal injury lawyer for your case. You will want an attorney who is experienced in personal injury cases, who is sympathetic to your situation and will aggressively fight for you. Portland is home to quite a few reputable personal injury lawyers. You will want to interview each of them before making a decision. A word of advice: try to find an attorney who has given legal advice to someone who is going through a similar situation.